AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Sunday, April 1, 2012

ELHAM ALNEAIMI (Homework #1)

Prompt 1
/ou/: yo. Yo. I’d like to borrow your yellow t-shirt that you wore four days ago. (Excited/Angry)

Prompt 2
/Ɔ/: I ought to buy a lot of new clothes for this hot weather. (Frustrated/Optimistic)

Prompt 3
/a/: Gosh, I like buying flip flops from the Topshop. 
(Happy/Sleepy)

Rules of improv have helped me a lot in my communication with people whether I know them or not. It helped me to show more expressions when talking to people. Besides, it gave me the courage to talk with Native American people comfortably and easily. After writing the prompts for three different improv scenes and choosing two distinctly different emotions for each prompt, I decided to try them on many different people and catch on the reactions. Many people were excited when I was and many of them were rude when I was as well. I learned from this experience that people’s opposite reactions depend on my way of talking. Using expressions and emotions always catch on people’s attention and make them react as the way I do. I really liked this task; it gave a lot of knowledge about things I was blind of. I believe that I am going to use it in my daily live to be more fluent English speaker. 

     

1 comment:

  1. Dear Elham, I admire your sense of adventure by trying your prompts with many different people. It sounds like you succeeded in displaying different emotions and getting the responses that mirrored yours! Congratulations! I do think that these kind of exercises will make you a more fluent speaker. Besides, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete