AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Friday, April 6, 2012

RAKAN ALAMERI (Homework #1)

The Prompts

/i/ I feel really bad, depressed!! I can’t leave or go anywhere. I think I will be staying here for a while. (frustrated/ calm)

When I did this prompt with one of my friends, he believed what I said particularly when he asked me to go to watch a movie in the cinema. However, he felt curious in a way that they were eager to know what made me depressed when I showed him how desperate I am using improvisation skills.

/ow/ O.. Bravo..  I heard you did the tango dance perfectly. Also your slow movements of your legs and elbows were awesome.  (optimistic/ excited)

One of the weirdest scenes I ever did was when I approached one of my friends in the LI, telling him about a dance he did last night. I already know that he never did the tango dance, but I acted as if he did it. The guy was completely surprised. I tried to make him believe what he did. Therefore, I extended the scene by making him doubt about it.

/a/ I heard a gun shot outside the apartment last night. I have looked through the windows but there wasn’t anybody. Do you know anything about what happened?   (angry/ curiosity)

Reflection
I did this prompt with one of the leasing consultants in the leasing office of my apartment. She truly believed what I said especially when I entered the office in a way shows how angry I am. I just couldn’t extend the scene much further. Otherwise she was just going to notify the security. Therefore I told her that it was an act. But I had to show her the homework paper so she could believe me. In the end, I believe it was really fun and it was a nice experience to counter with people using improvisation skills.
Remember! Always make your partner look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment