AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

PAULA RODRIGUEZ (Homework #1)

STEP 1 (VOWEL): Identify three vowel sounds that you have the greatest difficulty saying.
                VOWEL#1: the sound /o/ in the word “taught”
                VOWEL#2: the sound /e/ in the word “third”
                VOWEL#3: the sound /u/ in the word “woman”

STEP 2 (PROMPT): Write the “prompts” for three different improv scenes.        
PROMPT#1: For the vowel sound /o/:
                             My mother taught me that I have to work hard. She is my example because she fought for her dreams. This is the law of life.

PROMPT#2: For the vowel sound /e/:
                             Today is April 3rd   (third). I didn’t pay my rent, and I don’t remember the terms of payment.
PROMPT#3: For the vowel sound /u/:
                             I could play tennis last night. I met a friendly woman.


STEP 3 (EMOTION): For each prompt, choose two distinctly different emotions.

#1: Proud ßà Sad
#2: Worried ß à Happy
#3: Excited ß à Mysterious
REFLECTION
Our first homework was AMAZING.  I noticed a lot of differences in my manner to communicate my feelings and information.  Moreover, I am so happy because I met my goal: my “victims” didn’t know about my acting.  I think this step was the most difficult because I had to mix verbal and nonverbal communication.  For example, I had to pronounce the words correctly, think on an emotion, use gestures and facial expressions, and do my best improvisation.  I thought that it was impossible, but I could transmit my intention, and people answered me according to my emotion.  It was exciting for me as I felt that I was doing a god job using different improvisation rules.
   People reactions were different.  My interactions were with three friends, one teacher, and two native speakers.  When my emotions were pride, worry, and excitement, people followed my conversations.  For instance, I was talking with a teacher who showed her preoccupation and gave me suggestions when I said it: “Today is April 3rd . I didn’t pay my rent, and I don’t remember the terms of payment.”  In that moment, I wanted to laugh.  Nevertheless, I had to control my emotions. This improvisation was hard for me.
When my emotions were sadness, happiness, and mystery, people felt curious about my conversations.  I was talking about a specific topic, and they hoped a different reaction.  For this reason, my friends looked at me strangely; however, they continued talking with me.
Without a doubt, this experience was different and helpful to improve my conversations and improvisation.  Thanks Ruth for this great course.          





No comments:

Post a Comment