AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Monday, April 9, 2012

HAMDAN ALMARZOOQI (Homework #2)

HAMDAN (right) at the GT CULTURE FEST 2012

One of the most enjoyable events I have attended this session is the Culture Fest. Although I was very afraid because I was an international student, I found it really interested because we had gotten the chance to meet current Georgia Tech students.

I took this chance and tried to talk with some students who were there. For my luck, I met three different students from three different colleges. Although I was really nervous since I was not used to approach people and start talking with them, It was really nice to share their university experience with me.
The first student, Imra, I met was a student in the industrial engineering college. He was a really nice student. I asked him about how he chose his major and he said that he had talked with other people in the field of industrial engineering before he had found himself interested.

The second student was a Chinese-American named Cobe. I was curious about whether he struggled with fitting in the American society, so I asked him about that. The answer was there were no difficulties because he grew up here in the States. He even can understand English more than Chinese.
The third student was a female. She is studying in the biomedical department and she mentioned that when she was younger she had always wanted to be a doctor but she couldn’t, so she got into biomedical engineering.

To add to my experience, approaching someone to talk to was the biggest challenge for me. It made me very nervous; thus, I was not that fluent. For example, during the conversations, I noticed that I repeated some questions but in different ways. After I finished talking with the students, I was really concerned whether I did a good job or not; I miss followed the rules of improve because of the anxiety I had. I wish to do better next time; it takes time and training. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment