AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Friday, April 6, 2012

TAREK J. ALMUNTHARI (Homework #1)

The Prompts:

1. / ə /. Today we had enough ideas about your country. Let’s take another subject.




2. / ɪ /. This weekend I will be pretty busy baby-sitting my friend’s children. I wont even have a minute to study for my exam.





3. /ʊ/. You look like a nice woman. I’m lost could you help me.



The Report:

Although I’m saying the same thing, I received very different reactions form the people that I met. The first sentence / ə / and the third /ʊ/ when I used them with emotions like angry and frustrated some of the people tended to be angry and some were scared and wanted to end the conversation. However, when I used the same sentences but with different emotions like being friendly and polite, the people that I met wanted to carry on the conversation and were more interested in talking to me. It is amazing what I learned through this homework just by changing my emotion while speaking I could change the reaction of people around me differently. 

If I use the right emotion with improv rules, definitely they will help me extend any scene anywhere.

Remember! Always make your partner look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment