AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

OMRAN ALRAWAHI (Homework #2)


When I arrived to the cultural fest I was amazed. I didn’t expect that it would be like that. I was expecting something simple. I started wondering around looking for someone to talk to but, I took too long. I was afraid that I would fail and the person would ignore me, but I gathered my confidence and tried my best.

The first one I spoke with is a student that was presenting his country which is Thailand. I was confident and spoke clearly. I listened carefully when he spoke and asked many questions. After he finished his presentation, I offered him information about my culture and luckily he was interested. I told him everything about my country like the tallest building and he was amazed. I was happy and excited while speaking with him. He, also, taught me how to use chopsticks, and I was able to do it at last.

The second person I spoke to was a Georgia Tech student. He was sitting with his friends. At first I was reluctant to go and speak to him because he seemed not interested in the cultural fest but I tried anyway. I approached him slowly and asked him for a minute from his time and he agreed. I introduced myself clearly using the proper pronunciation and good body language. I told him about my country, but he was not interested at all because he already knew many things about my country. So to keep the conversation flowing, I asked him about his country which is the US. I asked him about the student life and many things. When I finished I thanked him and took a picture with him. I felt great when I finished because I was able to keep the conversation for too long while the student is not interested.

Finally, the third person is also a Georgia Tech student. He was sitting alone waiting for someone I think. I took my chance and approached him. I introduced myself and he welcomed me with a good smile. He was interested and asked a lot of questions about my country and culture. We spoke more than 10 minutes. We exchanged information about our cultures. He was from Columbia but raised in Spain. We also spoke about the student life in GT. He told me that it is hard and you almost don’t have a life. We laughed a lot and had fun chatting. It was a good experience and thanks to this class I was able to speak fluently and not afraid about making any mistake.



Remember! Always make your partner look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment