AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

HANA YU (Homework #2)



HANA YU AT THE GT CULTURE FEST


The Culture Festival is very interesting. At the beginning of the festival, I felt bored because I had to do homework, but it wasn't homework anymore. It’s a valuable experience.

First, I really want to try Thai food, I went to the Thai culture table. Because I have never been Thailand before, I wanted to know about their culture. I really wanted to try Thai food too, so I went to Thai culture table. Unfortunately, there isn’t any Thai food. I said pitifully “I was really looking forward to trying some Thai food.” That was the beginning of the conversation. Although I didn’t say hello to the Thai girl, our conversation could be started. That was amazing. After this first scene, I got confidence for this task.

I volunteered at my country’s table. I could meet much more people from other countries, and I could be known their culture, too. While I was volunteering, I got more opportunities to talk about my culture and other foreign cultures. To volunteer at my country’s table gives a merit. I could continue to share cultures as long as I can. I used some traditional stuff from my country. I offered some coffee and cookies, I showed K pop music video as I explained my culture. As a result, people who have other cultures stayed, and we could share each culture together. 




REFLECTIONS
While I was doing the homework at GT culture festival, I felt nervous first. Because someone may not know about Korea at all, but after I experienced Taiwanese culture, I became brave. And I used improv skills, especially I heard carefully, and I tried find what they wanted to know. I used a laptop and showed them k pop video. We shared each language's greeting. The interesting thing is that because I heard what they said to me, what they wanted me to know, eventually I got it, and I could give them the information about my culture. When I felt curious I could show them using my voice and face and action. But the different thing is I felt like the limit to get closer each other. But I tried to make them stay to talking to me as long as I could. My different actions made them feel more curious. So we could keep in conversation.

Remember! Always make your partner look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment