AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Friday, March 30, 2012

OMRAN ALRAWAHI (Homework #1)

/i/ First sentence: 
I am so happy right now!! I received a key for a suite and a lot of money for my birthday.

Happy/ bragging


/I/ second sentence:  
Children usually give these women a pretty hard time. It is interesting to examine them and build a system to teach them English.

Formal/ excited

E-sound in “yes” Third sentence:
Many of my friends took the death of their loved ones heavily. I always say to them to get in bed and sleep to ease the pain.

Sad/ Normal

Video coming

After I memorized the first sentence, I tried to think of a subject to implement it. Subject one was sitting in Tin Drum restaurant. He is a friend of mine who didn’t know what I am doing. I came to him and told him that today is my birthday. I did the first sentence with the happy emotion and my friend was happy for me. I was glad that it went smoothly and got the response I expected. We started talking about our gifts on birthday. Apparently his father bought him a car in his birthday. I already knew that he came from a wealth family. So telling him I got a suite and money for my birthday was believable for him, but not for me.

When I finished with the first subject, after about 10 minutes, another friend came. At first I was hesitated to talk to him with the bragging emotion, but I told in my mind that I will explain it to him after I finish the conversation. I approached him and started bragging that I got a suite and money for my birthday. My friend started looking at me shocked that I will act like that. I felt that I was conceited and hated it. He told me to stop bragging because I will enviable myself. I felt bad, but after I finished I explained to him what I was doing and he started laughing.

After lunch, I went to the Atlantic Station with a friend of mine. I told him to accompany me to hang out, but what I was really doing is trying to find some children with women to start my second sentence. Luckily, I found a family with children and women. I stopped and told my friend the sentence with a formal emotion. He was confused at first but I tried to explain it to him like I was a lecturer. He didn’t know why I was saying that but he kept saying why do you care, why are we talking about this, and how did you know that they gave the women a hard time. I was trying my best to answer him but I couldn’t help myself to stop laughing to myself.

I tried to do the second sentence while excited and the subject didn’t know what I am doing but I failed. So I told my friend what I am doing and started the conversation. My friend felt awkward and I was trying to hold my laughter, but at least I did the sentence and spoke for a minute.

I wanted to do the last sentence with someone other than my friends. In the Wal-Mart, I approached a guy who was alone. I introduced myself to him and after asking him about himself and what he does, I opened the conversation about death. I told him that my uncle died last week which is a lie. I was acting like I was sad and he tried to comfort me. Then I told him the third sentence and added to it a question which is “what do you think? Do you think that sleeping will help me?” He agreed with me and told me that sleeping releases the stress and refrain thinking about the predicament. After that he told me that he really need to go and left. I was extremely embarrassed and felt bad lying to him but he was nice.

Finally, I did the last emotion which is acting normal with a group of friends. I started the discussion of what make the person feel better when someone dies. I told them the sentence and gave them my opinion. There were many interesting opinions like eating chocolate or cry as load as possible. I felt very confident when I spoke to them and happy that I was able to speak fluently with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment