AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Friday, March 30, 2012

HANA YU (Homework #1)

/i/   I need to release myself from my greed in our relationship indeed.
Upset/ weak

/ou/  I cannot control my soul like falling into manhole.
Curious/ depressed

/ei/   Hey! Can you say to the DJ to play music on my birthday party?
Expectancy/urgent



Video coming...


REFLECTION
Thank you for giving me a chance this interesting experience. I experienced a variety of responses from each situation. First, I found an interesting thing when I showed a different feeling with my face, voice and gesture. For example, If I frowned at them to show my uncomfortable feeling, they little bit frown following me. Second, when I showed them optimistic attitude, they showed a response like participating in my situation together. It means that I could share what I feel and what I need. I can make them sympathetic for me with my voice, face and gesture. In addition, I was able to extend the scene by using the rules of IMPROV as I learn in this class. There is a good example to prove it during doing this task. One of my friends looks very busy, and actually he was busy indeed. Although I knew it, I tried to do this task to him. When I started to open my mouth first, he answered very short and simple because he got to go. I used the skills form the IMPROV guide, so I made him to stay more and talking with me. I realized that I can express other meaning and other feeling with using variety voices, faces and gestures, besides, I can extend to communication with the rules of IMPROV. This is an unlimited power to communicate.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful job Hana!!! Your improvisation was amazing. You used a lot of elements which our teacher has taught us. The rhythm and intonation were great. Paula =)

    ReplyDelete