AN IMPROV ESL CLASS CELEBRATING SAYING WHAT YOU THINK TO GET WHAT YOU WANT! (Course designed by ESL Instructor Ruth Schowalter and Improv Teacher Lesly Fredman)

Friday, March 30, 2012

MOHAMED ALASHAR (Homework #1)



Prompt 1: I bought the new PS3 game “Ninja Gaiden 3” last week. But I have never even opened it yet.

-       I tried this prompt on a native English speaker at GameStop with the emotion of shame or sadness about it. He replied to me casually by asking me “Why?” without showing that much of a concern and that did not surprise me because I would do the same thing if I were in his place. As we were debating about the game I was able to extend the scene by using a lot of “yes, but” in my responses because I was trying to accept his point of view of the game while trying to show some disagreement to his opinion without saying that I disagree. I noticed that I used a lot of hand movements and facial expressions to express my intention.

-       I tried this prompt on one of my friends who did not know about the homework and who is a gaming geek to some extents after I left GameStop while waiting for the bus with the emotion of satisfaction. He was surprised and confused of my intention and emotion because he believes that I should not be happy about buying a game without playing it immediately. His reaction did not surprise me because I knew he would react in that way. During this scene, I failed to extend it by using the rules of improv after he asked me “Are you stupid?” in a funny way and I was telling my self “Should I say yes or no?!!” , so I answered no to continue the conversation. I used a lot of hand movements and facial expressions to express my intention.

Prompt 2: The weather sure is great today for a dip in the pool.

-       I tried this prompt on one of my roommates who did not know about the homework with the emotion of tenderness. He agreed with me but he did not want go to the pool when I suggested that we go because he was busy with his assignments and studies. I was not surprised by his answer because I was in the same situation as he was in.  I was able to extend the scene by agreeing with him and changing the topic of our conversation after every few responses because it was during our daily discussions after school. I used a lot of head movements and a relaxed facial to communicate my intention.

-       I tried this prompt on one of my friends who did not know about the homework with the emotion of nervousness. My friend was puzzled because of my anxiety, so he was worried if I had a problem that he can help me with. I failed to extend the scene because I burst out laughing because I could not keep up the nervous act and ended up telling him that I was doing my homework. I was avoiding eye contact and using a choppy voice and speech to express my intention while acting.


Prompt 3:  I will go to the gym for 12 hours. Would you like to join me?

-       I tried this prompt on one of my friends who did not know about the homework with the emotion of excitement. My friend was willing to join me because my enthusiasm made him accept my idea without focusing on the details. I expected that he would accept my idea because we challenge ourselves every weekend by adding two hours of training to our program every week, so we will reach twelve hours this week. I used a loud voice and solid body movements to express my intentions.

-       I tried this prompt on one of my classmates who knew about the homework with the emotion of anger. He refused my suggestion, but in a polite indirect way. He said, “It is okay, but I don’t think I can stay that long”. The rules of improvisation helped to extend the conversation because we were accepting each other’s ideas while keeping the intention in mind. I used scary glares and loud aggressive voice, and a stiff stance as someone who was ready to fight to express my intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment